Saturday, August 05, 2006

Observations from the deck: The world works like a clock (Celestine prophecy spoiler)


Long ago during a KI lesson, we were given a statement, "The world is a clock and god is the clockmaker." It was only recently that I understood what it ment.

Recently I've borrowed a book from our school's library, The Celestine Prophecy. In the story, the first insight stated is "Becoming aware of the "coincidences" in one's life." That got me thinking.

The coincidences work like clockwork once you become aware of them. Something happens, the motion is set, everything around it influenced by it works like clockwork. Everything clicks into place nicely.

My project work group and I were going to the National Library at Bugis, so I messaged a friend of mine, who I normally go with to Bugis cause there's a nice comic store there and we both are comic freaks, that I would be going to Bugis and if there was any chance I'll see him. He rang me up right a way and told me he was already at Bugis for a project. Well I didn't see him until I was going home as he went to Arab street to do his project and stuff. So after my team left, I stayed back to wait for him since he was coming back.

We chatted for quite a while then I left.

I was going home, taking the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit, similiar to what people call the subway). I called my mum and asked if she would rather pick me up from Fernvale or Ang Mo Kio (station names). She said Fernvale.

Now normally I would transit the usual route from Bugis to City Hall to Doghby Gaut, but for some reason I decided to transit at Outram Park instead, maybe it was cause I wouldn't have to change so many trains, but it was my first time using my route anyway.

The first train came along, it was so packed that everyone else around me could get on but I couldn't given that I know my bag takes up the space of another person (One cannot deny that I'm a pack pangolin). So I took the second train.

I got down at Outram Park, where along the way to change lines, I saw a blind man, tapping his stick, having gone out of the lines placed for the blind to walk along. I took his hand and he told me he wanted to go to Chinatown and I lead him to the platform. Then he asked me if his wife was behind him.

Hoo boy I didnt see his wife for sure so I searched both platforms for her.
She later found him though.

Was it coincidence that my friend was there as well so I had to wait for him?
Was it coincidence that made me choose to go through a different route?
Was it coincidence that I took the second train instead?

If I had not been delayed by my friend, my indecisiveness/laziness or the train, I would not have been there to meet the blind fellow. Or maybe because the fellow was going to Outram Park that set the entire clockwork mechanism happening?

Strangely while eating shrimp dumplings at Crystal Jade with my team, before all this started, I understood what it ment by the world is a clock... while eating shrimp dumplings.

^^ For shrimp dumpling lovers, go to Crystal Jade, trust me its goooooood *purrs contentedly* Or for friends who want to treat me, just get me shrimp dumplings.

HINT HINT



As for such I recommand that one read The Celestine Prophecy, it really opens your mind.

Interestingly, there is a concept between The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and The Celestine Prophecy that is identical. "Coincidences" happen for a reason.
On an unrelated note, here's a picture of my hippo ^^
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is Captain Codfish signing off with a second hand to seven and the hour hand to nine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home